We offer innovative glass block products for the industrial, multi-family, commercial and institutional building markets.
Eastern Glass Block provides a variety of products and descriptive technical information which assists the commercial design professional in selecting and specifying Pittsburgh Corning Glass Block products. Pittsburgh Corning stands behind all of its glass block by offering a limited five year warranty.
For the commercial builder or architect, there are many benefits attained through the use of glass block in internal and external spaces:
- Beauty and Versatility
- Visibility/Light Transmission
- Earthquake Resistant
- Graffiti Resistant
- Noise Resistant
- High Impact Resistant
- Energy Efficient
- Fire Resistant
- Hurricane Resistant
- Sustainable Design / Supports LEED® Building Certification
Beauty and Versatility
Extraordinarily versatile and available in many aesthetically pleasing sizes and styles, glass block offers virtually limitless design possibilities. Glass block walls, partitions and windows combine the delicate beauty and light transmission of glass with the strength of glass block.
When top architects need to add security to their projects, Pittsburgh Corning answers with a range of solutions from the Premiere Series, THICKSET® Series or VISTABRIK® Glass Block.
Glass block provides exceptional visibilityin compliance with ADA guidelines for enclosed areas. It is also scratch-resistant and transmits up to 80% of available Corning specifications and theprovision Bullet Resistant light in both directions without any yellowing, clouding or weathering.
The Northridge, CA earthquake on January 17, 1994 was the largest earthquake in the United States to have its epicenter in an urban area. A detailed survey was made of the performance of structures containing Pittsburgh Corning glass block panel applications. In all sites visited, the glass block walls resisted the seismic forces without failure.
Glass block resists damage and is easy to clean
Three inches of solid glass makes VISTABRIK a dense barrier to sounds from trains, traffic, crowds, sirens, and machinery with a 53 STC level. THICKSET Series Block STC ranges between 48-50, and Premiere series glass block 35 to 40.
High Impact Resistant
UL tested and approved for Levels 1,2, and 6, VISTABRIK resists penetration from high-impact ballistics, including 9mm and .357 magnum bullets.
Glass block can provide more than double the thermal resistance (R-Value) of single-glaze 1/8″ thick plate glass. The differences between the shading coefficient of glass block and flat sheet glass is also significant. Click here to learn more about our Lightwise Architectural Systems Energy Efficient Glass Block Panels
An important feature of glass block, critical to safe building design, is the product’s inherent fire-resistance property. By varying the face thickness of the product and conforming to installation specifications, Pittsburgh Corning is able to offer a family of fire rated products approved and rated according to Underwriters Laboratory (UL®)‚ standards. Glass block are available in 45-, 60- and 90-minute ratings for window assemblies.
- Includes the largest selection of patterns and sizes for the utmost in design flexibility.
- All patterns are classified by UL®‚ for use in 45-minute rated window assemblies.
- All sizes available are rated except 12″ x 12″ and shapes.
- Nominal face thickness: 0.25″ THICKSET® 60 Block
- Classified by UL®‚ for use as 45-or 60-minute rated window assemblies.
- Nominal face thickness: 0.375″ THICKSET® 90 Block
- Classified by UL®‚ for use as 45-, 60- or 90-minute rated window assemblies.
- Nominal face thickness: 0.75″ VISTABRIK® Solid Glass Block
- The ultimate glass block solution, 3 solid inches of glass which resists bullets, fire, noise, and graffiti.
- Classified by UL®‚ for use as 45-, 60- or 90-minute rated window assemblies.
- Actual face thickness: 3.0″
LIGHTWISE® ARCHITECTURAL SYSTEMS
The Latest in Our Lineup of Possibilities. Aesthetically Stunning. Functionally Smart.
Two new LightWise® Architectural Systems products that offer not only enhanced security and peace of mind but also aesthetically pleasing options to let in light while providing various levels of privacy:
- Blast-Resistant Glass Block Panels
- Hurricane-Resistant Aluminum Framed Glass Block Window
Each is engineered to the highest standard and pre-fabricated in our own facility. With rigorous testing by third parties, we guarantee the performance, quality and ease of installation of every panel. Click here to learn more about Blast resistant and Hurricane resistant glass block panels.
Blast-Resistant Glass Block Panel
With the increased threat and awareness of terrorist and criminal attacks from explosive ballistic devices, Pittsburgh Corning has developed and tested a new generation of patent-pending blast-resistant panels that meets GSA and UFC 04-010-01 blast glass standards.
Many injuries to building occupants are caused by glass fragments sent flying through the air from the force of a blast. Unlike laminated flat glass, which will often crack and sometimes release fragments during a blast, there was no cracking or loss of glass in the tests conducted on our Blast-Resistant Glass Block Panels.
- Panelized system can be easily and quickly installed
- Panels can be customized to meet project requirements
- Offers a range of visibility and privacy options
- Provides daylighting
- Panels can be installed from either the interior or the exterior of a building
- Graffiti-resistant, damage-resistant and easy to clean
- Noise reduction
- Real glass is easy to maintain and will not yellow over time or scratch easily, unlike films or plastics
Sizes range between 4 feet by 4 feet and 8 feet by 8 feet. Custom-sized panels are available and can be engineered for each specific project.
Hurricane-Resistant Aluminum Framed Glass Block Window
The new Hurricane-Resistant Aluminum Framed Glass Block Window by Pittsburgh Corning is the ideal system for use in commercial applications where beauty, light trans-mission and protection against hurricane force winds and debris is critical.
The window has passed the large missile impact tests recognized by the International Building Code and Dade County and is approved for use in coastal areas. This makes the perfect solution if you want beauty and function that will weather most any storm.
Sizes range up to 4 feet by 8 feet. Other sizes are available in 8 inch increments. Another new offering from Pittsburgh Corning Corporation is it’s new Collaborative Customization program. Pittsburgh Corning can partner with you to provided resources at multiple stages of design from creative inspiration through collaborative product development. If you need a custom glass block product to make your design a reality, Pittsburgh Corning can help. We have Sales Managers and technical support personnel that can work with you to make it happen. Visit our new website www.possibilitiesbegin.com which was designed specifically to help you to imagine the possibilities!
Natural Light. Natural Material. Naturally Inspired. Sustainable Design.
What’s more inspiring than form meeting function? Glass block, made largely from sand and limestone, is 100 percent recyclable, inert, low maintenance, and highly durable, lasting 50 years or more. Yet its dynamic relationship with light gives architects the opportunity to create both aesthetically pleasing and energy efficient spaces.
Pittsburgh Corning glass block not only supports LEED® building certification, it also contributes to sustainable design in other ways:
Safety and Security
- Glass block is noncombustible
- Glass block combines visibility with security
Environmentally Preferable Materials and Products
- Glass block is made largely from sand, an abundant raw material
- Glass block is recyclable
- Glass block is durable
- Glass block has low construction waste
- Certain glass block products may help avoid glare